Meringue roulade with Nutella and nuts can be your perfect romantic dessert. Crispy dessert on the outside, creamy mascarpone cream on the inside. With a touch of warm Nutella, it’s literally a mouth-watering experience. And in case, you need a good Valentine’s Day dessert – and just between us, girls and boys – this could be the one.
A TEASER FOR THE MERINGUE ROULADE WITH NUTELLA AND NUTS
I don’t care if you are in a monogamous relationship or you share love in a polyamorous relationship, you should never share a cake. Like ever. And I think you will not want to after trying this roulade. To be honest, my mum got this recipe from her colleague at work. I just change it to Nutella and mascarpone cream. So this is not really mine and I don’t know who is the creator. But I love you and I will always do.
You can also check out the traditional love dessert – Lava cake. You can find more desserts on my Instagram and TikTok, where I add desserts and more daily cooking recipes. Including video recipes. 🙂
MERINGUE CAKES ARE NOT APPRECIATED ENOUGH
I love meringue. I think the consistency is so magical, not ordinary. Like edible pieces of heaven. I believe that our loved ones deserve the best, not only on Valentine’s Day. But let’s be honest, it’s nice to do something extra. And this roulade is so easy.. So why not?
This is literally all you need:
Egg whites – for this cake you will need 5 egg whites that will be whisked with icing sugar, cornstarch, and roughly chopped nuts. These ingredients will make the roulade crispy on the outside and sweet enough thanks to the icing sugar.
Mascarpone cream – whip the heavy whipping cream. When the cream starts to thicken, add mascarpone a tablespoon at a time. By slowly adding the mascarpone, the whipped cream won’t get over-mixed. And that’s not cute.
STEP BY STEP.. WITH FLIPPING THE BAKING TRAY
The fun thing about this cake is the way it’s prepared. You start with whisking the egg whites, pouring them on the baking paper attached to the baking tray, sprinkling them with nuts, and baking in the oven. So now you are baking the base for the roulade. If you would roll the roulade now, the nuts would be on the inside – and that’s not what the goal is. The goal is to have nuts on the outside of the roulade. So you have to flip it over. But how?
My trick is to prepare a clean kitchen cloth on the kitchen counter. You have to work with hot roulade, better known as “fresh out the oven” roulade (so it doesn’t crack when you roll it later). When you take the baked egg whites out of the oven, put them on the wooden cutting board. Take a baking paper and put it on the egg whites. Now take the hot baking tray (with some gloves), and flip it over on the kitchen cloth. Now you have nuts on the outside. You can put Nutella and cream on top.
Once you spread Nutella and cream on the roulade, continue by rolling from the bottom to the top. You can also help yourself by using a kitchen cloth. A kitchen cloth can be a good helper when you roll the roulade. In the end, you can also wrap the roulade into this kitchen cloth and put it into the fridge for a few hours.
So the main points are: work with hot roulade, use a generous amount of Nutella and have a good time with flipping! Let me know how it went. Send me a message on Instagram ❤️
Meringue Roulade With Nutella
- 5 egg whites
- 200 g icing sugar
- 2 tbsps cornstarch
- 2 handful roughly chopped nuts
- 200 g mascarpone
- 150 g Nutella
- 250 ml heavy whipping cream
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Prepare a big baking tray with baking paper on it.
- Whisk the egg whites at high speed. In the middle of whisking, when they start to thicken, slowly add icing sugar (a tablespoon at a time) and cornstarch.
- When the egg whites are whisked, pour them on the whole size of baking paper. Make sure the top is nicely smoothened by using a rubber spatula. Sprinkle some nuts on top and then press them into the whisked egg whites. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- While the egg whites are baking, whip the heavy whipping cream in a bowl. In the middle of whipping the cream, add mascarpone – also a tablespoon at a time. When you're done, put a bowl into the fridge for a few minutes (not a necessary step).
- Spread a clean kitchen cloth on the kitchen counter. Take baked egg whites out of the oven and put them on the wooden cutting board.
- We need to flip the baked egg whites – to get the side with nuts on the bottom.Put a new baking paper on top of the baked egg whites, while they are still warm and on the baking tray, and flip the whole baking tray over on the kitchen cloth. Now the meringue side with nuts is on the bottom.
- Time to spread the Nutella over the meringue. Once the Nutella is freshly spread – take the bowl with mascarpone cream out of the fridge and add on top of the Nutella with a rubber spatula.
- Now roll the roulade from the bottom to the top. Now you can see the nuts are on the outside and cream is on the inside. Once the roulade is rolled, you can use the kitchen cloth and wrap the roulade in it. Put it into the fridge for at least an hour.
- you can use more Nutella as I mentioned
- you need to work with warm baked egg whites, so the roulade can be rolled up without cracking
- if you are not a fan of Nutella, use a jam or whatever marmalade you prefer – it can be a runny peanut butter if you want
- be careful to not overmix the whipping cream by adding too much mascarpone at one time, use tablespoons and go step by step by slowly adding all ingredients
Leave a Reply